Friday, November 4, 2011

The Greatest Act Of Kindness In The History Of Gaming... Period.

I have never been a fan of the game Borderlands. I found it to be bland, uninteresting, and clunky. However, despite the flaws about Gearbox's cult classic, this does not taint (c'mon kids...) the image of their overall class.
I did my midnight intra-web surfing and stumbled on to a story by destructoid on a gentleman by the name of Michael John Mamaril. This young fan of the game, Borderlands, passed away at the young age of 22 of cancer last month.
One of the wishes from his best friend Carlo, who is also a huge fan of the game, asked the good people of Gearbox to include a eulogy to be read by Claptrap, a character favorite in Borderlands. Not only did Gearbox happily obliged. Michael will be included as a non-playable character in Borderlands 2.
Never in the 23 years I have picked up a controller and aquired the knowledge of videogames in my world, have I seen such an act of genuine and heartfelt kindness for a fan. No dying of Aeris, kidnapping of princess, or even death of Jenny can match the emotion I felt when I listened to the eulogy. I share this link with you in hopes that other developers can take note that these people stay out in the warmth and even the blistering cold to have the most entertaining experience, never should they be considered as dollar signs.
For the the link to the eulogy, please visit:
http://m.soundcloud.com/tony-12-2/claptrap-eulogy-for-michael/s-tmwpd

No comments:

Post a Comment