Friday, November 5, 2010

My Top 5 Video Game Theme Songs

     In the 25 years I have been on this Earth, one of the many things I have learned is that video games is a lot like improv comedy. When doing improv you only have a brief moment to capture the audience, or you're doomed. If your gonna make me play this game, at least make the intro theme incredible. So this list is an ode to those brave souls who set the bar from 8-bit gems to Next-Gen greatness.

Street Fighter 4


Ok don't judge! If you know me, you'll know that I am a huge Street Fighter fan. So when you add in Street Fighter and a J-Pop band that sounds like Color Me Badd, you have no choice but to have a win.

Donkey Kong Country




Again, let me explain. I picked this game because it was more than just a cool intro. It literally says "This isn't your dad's Donkey Kong in the arcades!" It starts off slow and boring, but the pop/hip hop finish makes people excited to play from start to finish.

Kingdom Hearts


Just a beautiful song by Utada Hikaru. Mix that with your need to help the Disney universe, you can't help but to stay on this game for hours. Plus there is always a soft spot for anime in everyones hearts.

Rock Band 2


When you hear this song, gamers have no choice but to pick up a guitar, drum sticks, or microphone and procede to tackle the game's endless playlist. Also, the intro is not that bad either. It always reminded me of Queens of the Stone Age, "Go with the flow."

And here is my all time favorite theme song...
Final Fantasy XIII


Nor Rain, Lightning or Snow (pun intended), could stop me from playing this beautiful game with the speakers blasting. If you ever have a chance and a few extra dollars, download or buy this sound track. With over 300 songs, it fits every scenario that you have planned for the day.

Ok, now that you guys know my top 5, what s your top 5 or theme song you just cannot stop playing in your head?

No comments:

Post a Comment